- This event has passed.
Master Detailer Course w/ Kelly Harris
October 9 - October 12
One event on October 9, 2023 at 12:00 am
One event on November 27, 2023 at 12:00 am
The Lake Country Master Detailer course with Kelly Harris is THE ‘Original’ Master Detailer course, honed and expanded by Kelly over the last 13 years. This is where all the myths are busted, and where common misconceptions about polishing, products and other detailing practices get scrutinised and picked apart – by YOU – in front of your own eyes. Taking things far beyond what you see in our videos, the course is four full days of hands-on, in-depth tuition led by Kelly Harris (the ORIGINAL Master Detailer at KDS Keltec, now Global Director of Training at Lake Country) with additional support from Jay Broom (longterm KDS detailer / customer manager, now also a key part of the Lake Country team) to maximise your progress.
The course is designed to massively improve your technical skills and knowledge across the entire detailing spectrum, including the most advanced levels of paint correction. Kelly has taught over 180 pupils on this course in the last 13 years, and every single one of them has learnt more than they imagined they could – even existing professionals. Many former pupils have gone on to have successful detailing businesses of their own, all around the world, using Kelly Harris’s Master Detailing course as their starting point.
The course is based around the following topics, however questions on additional subjects will be welcomed:
- Washing and drying (pre-detail cleaning vs. maintenance wash)
- Engine bay cleaning and dressing
- Vehicle condition assessment, identifying defects
- Understanding paint technology and types of clearcoat
- Understanding/using a paint thickness gauge (single and multi-layer)
- Paint decontamination and masking
- Polishing pad options and how to pick the right one
- Machine polishing techniques using ‘orbital polishers’
- Machine polishing techniques using ‘rotary polishers’
- Advanced machine polishing, including using mini machines
- Sanding – when and why do we sand?
- Sanding by machine vs. sanding by hand
- Sanding – wet, damp or dry?
- Polishing assessment and understanding ‘fake’ vs ‘true’ correction
- Pad cleaning and maintenance
- How to get the best from waxes and sealants
- Nano-coatings / ceramic-coatings: how to apply them and what to expect
- Interior detailing methods – fabrics, leather, plastics
- Glass cleaning and treatments
- Exhaust / chrome treatments
- Trim treatments
- Stone chip repairs (simple touch ins vs. built up/lacquered/sanded)
- Glass scratch removal
- Aftercare guidance
- Vehicle handover (if appropriate)
We paint demo panels (with defects on purpose) specially in advance of this course to ensure you benefit from a perfect, controlled training environment.
All materials are included in the course fee and there will be no ‘taking turns’ – you get your own workstation, polishers etc. and direct personal assistance from Kelly and Jay.
We can offer recommendations for where to stay, local amenities etc.
The course fee is £2,000 + VAT (total = £2,400) per person, and there will be a maximum of 4 pupils. At the end of the course, each pupil will be awarded:
- A signed certificate of completion
- An UDOS 51E 5-in-1 machine polisher
- A selection of complimentary Lake Country pads
- A Lake Country t-shirt and baseball cap
To book your slot please contact Jay using the details below!